Do I need to register for special taxes, permits or fees?
This is still the Research Phase, not the Registration Phase, so do not register for any taxes at this time. Instead use the links and forms below to determine what special taxes, permits or fees for which you may need to register.
Florida Department of Revenue has a registration web page that lists and explains the special taxes. Be sure to click “Show all term definitions” at the top right to see complete information.
When you reach the Registration Phase of starting your business, you may need to complete the above Florida Business Tax Application, Form DR-1. Go ahead and complete the form without filing it. This exercise will help you determine if you need to register and pay special taxes.
Alachua County Taxes
- If your business location is outside the Gainesville city limits, you will need to register for the County Local Business Tax.
- Some businesses are exempt from this tax, see this form to find out more.
- Some individuals are exempt from this tax, see this form to find out more.
- See this form to find out what is needed to register for this tax.
- Here is the Alachua County Business Tax Application and the form to provide your SSN or FEIN.
County Home Based Business Permit In some situations, you may need to obtain a permit to operate a business in your home if it’s located outside the city limits.
County Temporary Permits A temporary use activity may include but is not limited to the following: Special events, temporary sales, seasonal sales, and filming or audio recording of still, live or motion picture productions for theatres, television entertainment, industrial use or internet content.
- Every new business must file this tax return for assets held on January 1st, the return is due April 1st. If the assets you report on your first-year return are $25,000 or less, you will be exempt from filing future returns. Make sure you receive the exemption post card in your second year of business. If you do not have this, contact the County Tax Collector at (352) 374-5236.
- The County’s website does not specifically address the $25K exemption because it was legislated by the state of Florida. Here is the statute.
- The County’s website addresses this tax in several places. Here are useful links to learn more:
City of Gainesville Taxes
City Business Tax This link is the e-filing service to pay the City of Gainesville Business Tax. At this writing, the payment system was out of service. Every business located within the Gainesville city limits must register for this tax. This also serves as your official registration with the City of Gainesville as a business. The City of Gainesville does not make its City Business License available online. They require that you apply in person at The Thomas Center, Building B, 306 NE 6th Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32601. You can reach them via telephone at 352-334-5024. This application process will also address any zoning issues your business may have.
City Landlord Permits & Fees The City of Gainesville requires landlords to have permits and pay fees.
City Special Event Permits & Fees The City of Gainesville requires permits and fees if your business holds a special event.
City Home Occupation Permits & Fees In some situations, you may need to obtain a permit to operate a business in your home if it’s located in the city limits.